Life is demanding, overwhelming, frustrating, and any other euphemism you can think of. It’s important to always make time to take care of yourself. If you’re like me, you tend to shut down when you’re overwhelmed. There’s just too much going on and you need to check out for a bit. Last week was very stressful for me and it wasn’t even my stress! Because my life doesn’t come with enough, I decided to take on the stress for a friend. Um, what?! Yeah, that’s how I do things.
I generally set aside one day a week, usually Sunday, for self-care. I try not to do anything at all on this day except for what I want to do. Last Sunday, I made a run to Target for a few things and Dunkin for coffee. Other than that, I didn’t do much of anything. My “self-care Sunday” is all about me and what makes me feel better. It’s my “girlie day”. I do my dead sea mud mask, wax/pluck my eyebrows, lip and chin (oh yeah!) and give myself an mani/pedi.
But, it’s important to practice self-care every day. If you’re at a loss as to what to do, try these 10 self-care tips today!
- Say NO! Don’t take on anything you don’t want to handle or have time for. It’s not worth it.
- Talk it out with a friend or family member. Talking about it takes away its power and often leaves you feeling better and seeing things more clearly.
- Read. Take your mind off your worries for a little while and read. Sometimes overwhelm occurs because we’re doing too much at once.
- Sip hot tea. The calming effects of tea work wonders for your mood.
- Write it down. Don’t waste good brain power on worrying. Write down what’s bothering or overwhelming you to get it off your mind.
- Ask for help. You don’t have to do everything yourself. Learn to delegate things to others so that there’s not so much on your plate.
- Take a hot bath. Relax with your favorite essential oils or bubbles until you’re all wrinkly!
- Exercise. Moving for at least 30 minutes will help you gain mental clarity and feel better about yourself.
- Plan. Sometimes mapping things out makes them less overwhelming. Get out your planner and make magic!
- Listen to soothing sounds. I love sounds of nature, the beach, seagulls, etc. Listen to what soothes you to help you unwind.
These self-care tips don’t take a lot of time to do and most can be done anywhere, so there’s no excuse. Don’t let life get the best of you. It’s time for you to take care of yourself the best you can. Don’t worry about feeling guilty for taking “me time” because guess what? You can’t pour from an empty cup. Before you can take care of anyone else, you have to take care of yourself.
What is your favorite self-care tip?