I’m all about trying new things because eating the same shit day after day gets old fast. While I was busy pinning some things, I found this Pinterest recipe for cheesy chicken broccoli and rice.
At first, I was nervous about making it because of the onion and garlic. I love garlic but I’ve never used it in a dish like this. Well, I’m so glad I was adventurous because this was absolutely delicious.
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. red onion, diced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 c. long grain brown rice
- 2½ c. broccoli florets, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2½ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. finely shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and petter.
- Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
- Brown chicken and add garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Push chicken to one side and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to the other side.
- Add uncooked rice to the olive oil and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook chicken and rice, covered, for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle broccoli evenly over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with lid, let sit 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This recipe was adapted from Christy Denney.
I know it may not look like much (some people actually told me it looked like it was regurgitated), but, trust me, it was GOOD! If you’re looking for a quick recipe that’s filling and delicious, this is the one!